The Eastern Meadows Church of Christ began meeting in Chisholm on the first Sunday in May 1924 under a tent on the Lower Wetumpka Road in the old cedar grove, where Park Plaza Shopping Center now stands in Montgomery. Dr. O.H. Tallman preached. Two of the first families present are still represented today, relatives of the Hicks and Greers. Sister Jim (Floy Greer) Barganier was the last charter member of the congregation having worshipped here for 81 years.
Elders who currently serve Easter Meadows are Tim Bagents, Don Brannan and Ted Norton. Former elders include J.T. Norton, Howard Jones, Bill Couch, Ralph Norton, Joe Greer, O.H. Brannan, Floyd Parker, Carl Mitchell, Dave Demonbreun, A.N. Greer and L.L. Jones.
Preachers who have served the Chisholm/Eastern Meadows congregation include: L.L. Jones, Fred Little, Floyd Horton, Leonard Johnson, J.C. Hollis, Leroy Garrett, Ed Holt, , Richard Harp, Don Brannan, Roger Jackson, Lewis Casey, Jimmy Edwards and currently Steve Housley. Many other preachers have also preached in Gospel Meetings at Chisholm /Eastern Meadows and have "filled in" on a week-to-week basis.
Part-time Youth Ministers who have served Eastern Meadows include Mike Jones, Dan Wheeler, Mac Adkins, Sherman Creel, Forest Foresee, and Jimmy Matthews. Matthew Beasley was the first full-time Youth Minister who was followed by Noah Jones and Brett Thomas. Our current Youth Minister is Tim Gotkiewicz.
The first meeting place was an old store building on the corner of Lower Wetumpka Road and Pickett Street. The church next met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fitzhugh Ferguson until a building was completed at 100 Park Avenue in 1925. This building still stands and is rented out as a duplex.
In 1941 the church moved into a new two-story building located at 3017 Lower Wetumpka Road. Beginning in 1957, the church built a two-story classroom building behind the existing building. There was an office, nine classrooms, two bathrooms and a furnace room in the building. The auditorium building was then torn down, and the church met in the classroom building until the main auditorium was completed in 1960.
In late 1984 the decision was made to sell the property at 3017 Lower Wetumpka Road in order to build at 4050 Fairground Road, about on half mile away. Following several months of meeting in the Faulkner University Rotunda, the church newly named Eastern Meadows Church of Christ, held her fist service in the new building, July 30, 1986. In 1992 seven new classrooms were added.
In 2006 the Fairgrounds Road property was sold and a property at 8464 Vaughn Road was purchased. Again, Eastern Meadows met at the Faulkner University Rotunda while then new building was under construction. In November 2008 Eastern Meadows held its first service at the Vaughn Road location. In 2014 construction began for our new auditorium at the Vaughn Road location. Plans are to have it finished in 2015 and our current auditorium to become our Fellowship Hall.
During Chisholm's early years, mission work in Alabama was an important part of the work. Brother Rex Turner Sr. helped establish churches in Alex City, Prattville and Lightwood. Brother Leonard Johnson continued the work helping establish and strengthen churches in Elmore, Autaugaville, Jones Chapel, Jackson, Grove Hill and Thomasville. Various missionaries have been supported through the years. Please visit our Missions page and Benevolence page to see our current list of who we support.